2 August 2012

Taboos Part II - Shweaty Feet (Dr. Scholl's For Her Rub Shield Friction Preventer Stick)

There's a reason why these things are called taboos.

Ever since the weather has grown warmer and the heatwave suddenly hit, my feet have been feeling the effects.  That is, blisters (and, as a result, calluses) began to form on the tops of my toes--namely, on the joints between my metatarsals and phalanges.  Not only are they unsightly, but they are fuckin' ass painful.

My very unscientific hypothesis is that, because those are the highest points of my toes, they endure the most friction.  Due to the type of footwear I don for work, my feet are trapped in the shoes with no airflow.  Therefore, the warm conditions and resulting moisture (yes, from sweat) combined with the friction caused by the constant rubbing of the skin against the socks/shoes causes fluid to collect between the layers of skin--aka. blisters.

I looked for sweat-wicking socks, but all the ones I've seen are ankle socks.  Other athletic socks are extremely thick and while thick socks may contain sweat/moisture better, my feet get way too hot.

Luckily, I found an alternative.


Dr. Scholl's For Her Rub Shield Friction Preventer Stick.  I believe it was around $9.99 CAD.  Now, I'm well aware that many of you probably have lovely, non-sweaty feet.  But this may still be useful for you when you wear fancy shoes (and of course, non-fancy shoes) that pinch or squish certain areas of your feet/toes and cause blisters.  It is scentless, colourless, and has a slippery texture that relieves the friction.  I've heard some people mention that Vaseline provides a comparable effect, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is just glorified Vaseline in stick-form.

Regardless, my toes have been blister-free since using this product.  There are some small calluses now and then, but overall I think it works well for me.

- R

No comments:

Post a Comment